Everyone’s favorite time of year is here! Fall is the season of change, so why not change up your home decor to match? Baton Rouge has tons of stores and markets where you can hunt for charming local decor and art to match the weather. And Sweet Baton Rouge Insiders have got you covered with a list of hotspots and inspiration, too. Whether you’re adding new items or completely starting over for the fall, you’re ready for fall!
Start With A Game Plan
Like our favorite fall sport (football), you’ve gotta start the hunt with a game plan.
Here are five suggestions:
- The most important thing to remember: Decide on your favorite fall color schemes. You can quickly search on Pinterest if you don’t already know what you like. Visit local art galleries and attend events and keep your eyes out for pieces that incorporate these.
- Vegetation, of course, like pumpkins, gourds, and cotton.
- Wildlife is a great subject to include. We associate certain animals with the fall season. This could be barn owls, squirrels, red foxes, deer, and wolves.
- Louisiana fall/winter foods portraits, such as gumbo.
- Abstract paintings are perfect for using color to subtly create a mood in your home.
Creep It Real Spooky
All of the same suggestions above apply to Halloween decorations. And yes, you can find spooky paintings that are also tasteful from many local makers!
The trick here is to find sophisticated Halloween items that compliment your color scheme. This is so important because it makes decorating easier for you! Simply remove your spooky decorations on November 1st and you’re right back to regular fall decor.
Where To Geaux
Our favorite Baton Rouge stores are open for business and practicing social distancing guidelines. However, if you can still reach out to many of these stores through their social media and emails to see about private shopping appointments or in-store pick-ups.
As you shop, remember that you don’t have to stick to obviously seasonal items. Regular decorations that match your seasonal color scheme work, too! You can rotate them out after the season so your home doesn’t look the same throughout the year. Examples include macrame wall hangings, vases, picture frames, blankets, dishware, etc.
- Ann Connely Fine Art
- The Foyer
- Mosaic Garden
- Elizabethan Gallery
- Alla’s Fine Art and Custom Framing
- N The Art Space
- Trick & Treat Art Unleashed ReVAMPed–On October 16th you can join BREC as they put on an exciting Halloween event that raises awareness for local adoption centers and artists. There will be live music, puppy costume contests, food trucks, art vendors, and even dogs available for adoption.
- Mid City Makers Market–At one location on one exciting night a month you can find art and decor from some of the area’s newest and most popular creatives. Join the community at Electric Depot on October 17th.
- Local PopUp–Did you know that our sister brand Local PopUp is always selling pieces from local makers online? You don’t have to wait for Christmas or to visit the Flagship location to check out what they’re working on.
- Instagram–It’s easy to find local art by following relevant hashtags. on Instagram. And when you find an artist with a style that you like, you can even request commissions to perfectly match your home. Here are a few tags can try: #batonrougeartist, #batonrougeartists, #louisianaart, #louisianaartist
Other Retail Locations
- L & D Linens and Decor
- The Royal Standard]
- The Hope Shop
- Circa 1857 Antiques
- Polished Peacock Antiques
- Pink Elephant Antiques
- Maison Greige in Zachary
- Birds and Berries in Gonzales
Set Your Sights To Local Businesses This Fall
If all this sounds like a scavenger hunt–You’re right. Finding season-specific locally supplied items and art is definitely a challenge but oh-so-fun! And when you support local businesses the impact on our community is worth the effort.