When it comes to shopping this Holiday season, remember that you can make a difference in your community by shopping local! Here in Mid City, Baton Rouge, there is no shortage of local merchandise and unique gifts by our creative and entrepreneurial neighbors.
Benefits To Your City
- You see, not only are you helping your neighbors’ businesses, but shopping locally has a rippling positive effect on your city’s economy. Some studies have shown that for every $100 you spend, $68 will stay in your community. But only $43 stays in your community when you shop from a national chain.
- You are encouraging entrepreneurship. New and growing businesses mean more new jobs in your city.
- Cut out the harmful consequences caused by mass production when you purchase homemade products and vintage items from the store right next door. It’s up to all of us to work toward a sustainable future!
Benefits To You
- Often times, the item’s quality is better because the seller has personally picked it. Plus, if you’re unsure you can often test it for yourself.
- Many businesses have adopted local home delivery policies so shipping is not really an issue either.
- If you need to make a return or exchange, you can easily get in touch with someone who can help you. It’s no secret that small business owners are more flexible and understanding. You likely will not experience shipping fees because you can come to an agreement for the return.
- Best of all, your gifts are unique! Your friends and family will love receiving a gift that has a story or history behind it unlike any other.
- The Hope Shop – What first started as Hands Producing Hope has grown into a wonderful and growing philanthropic business. All products are handmade by artisans in third world countries, primarily Costa Rica and Rwanda. The Hope Shop helps these women create a sustainable income for themselves and their families. They also invest in their lives by creating a program that prioritizes access to education, physical health, and mental/emotional wellness. Learn more about this amazing business story here.
- Circa 1857 – A great place to find unique, antique treasures. The building has a long history that you can sense while you’re shopping. Come for a delicious lunch at Yvette Marie’s Cafe and stay for the shopping experience.
- Mosaic Garden – A quirky art, decor, and home goods boutique. From cookbooks to handmade art–you’re sure to find something exciting here!
- Polished Peacock Antiques – Shop for carefully curated fine antiques among their collection of succulents.
- Pink Elephant Antiques – A great collection of antique and vintage items curated by local collectors. You can find just about anything here. Art, furniture, lighting, clothing, jewelry, toys, books–honestly the list goes on!
- Pop Shop Records – They’re a funky music place to find independent musicians and meet other music lovers, too! Their stock covers a wide range of genres featuring both vintage and newly released vinyl albums. You can also find a large amount of both vintage and new audio equipment.
- Time Warp – The place to shop vintage clothing in Baton Rouge! Each piece of clothing is purposefully purchased from authentic vintage clothing markets. Shop clothes by decade, from the 50s to the 90s. Leave the store with shopping bags full of unique, show-stopping apparel.
- Tim’s Garage – Apparel, accessories, art, and decor from a variety of local brands. Tim’s Garage is “a vibe of 70s muscle cars, 80s BMX nostalgia, and 90s punk rock.”
- 3tails Wine and Cheese – A wine lover’s place to shop! Browse a selection of wine curated from expert winemakers who focus on sustainability, quality, and consistency.
- Red Stick Spice Company – A family-owned and operated business with a special enthusiasm for South Louisiana cooking. They serve an extensive line of specially sourced blends, rubs, teas, and cooking oils.
- Elizabethan Gallery – Find beautiful local paintings here and get it framed, too! You can bring any item you want to be framed here. They will custom cut mats, glass, and frames. You can also browse their selection of vintage frames.
- Mo’s Art Supply – Buy art and craft supplies for your artsy friends here! It caters to professional artists, students, and even creative kids!
- Violet Flame Jewelry Gallery – A jewelry gallery specializing in unique and handcrafted gemstone and crystal jewelry. Fine jewelry and precious stones are sourced globally and locally. Violet Flame features Baton Rouge and Louisianan artisans, spotlighting more about what makes our community unique.
Holiday Market by Local Pop Up
You can also shop a holiday selection from Local Pop Up Makers all November long at Sweet Baton Rouge. Plus, join us for a tent market on November 28th! It’s an excellent opportunity to meet your favorite makers in person while enjoying live music and food in Electric Depot.
If you are unable to make it by the store during November, you can find the makers online, too. Just visit the Local Pop Up website to learn more!